Based in St Werburghs - serving local communities - St Werburghs, Easton, Eastville, St Pauls
The centre was built in 1902 as a mixed school for the Bristol School Board, and was converted into a community centre in the 1970s. It is one of the oldest community centres in the city and provides a meeting space and focus for activities in both the local and wider community.
The centre is situated in the residential area of St Werburghs close to the centre of Bristol and is well linked to its surrounding inner city areas of Easton, St Pauls and Eastville; its proximity to the M32 could draw users from further a field.
Management of the building is the responsibility of the Community Association, which has run the centre since its formal establishment as a charity and company limited by guarantee in January 1999. A Centre Manager was appointed in May 1999, followed by a team of administrators and care-taking staff. Before this, Bristol City Council ran the centre, supported by the Community Association.
Over the past three years, the centre has grown rapidly, developing a range of services and facilities in response to local needs and in the light of opportunities for external funding and revenue generation. The limited resources at first available have developed into a successful community resource.
However, the structural limitations of the current building have hampered the Community Association's ability to continue to develop its services. It is in response to these problems that the Community Association has commissioned a series of Feasibility, consultation and Regeneration initiatives in the area.
SWCA now wish to increase their organisational capacity, supporting the SWCA to implement their plans to rebuild St Werburghs Community Centre. In order to do this we will seek a consultant to work alongside the organisation with a Brief to Develop and Business Plan and Project Management Strategy for SWCA for the next 3 years, including a detailed Funding Strategy.